Here is the refried beans recipe I’ve been working on. If you like refried beans, try it.
1 lb bag of pinto beans (apx. 2 1/2 cups)
4 1/2 cups water
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 T. salt
1 1/2 t. cumin
1/2 t. chili powder
1/2 t. oregano
1/2 t. pepper
1/2 t. paprika
1/2 t. coriander
1 T. chopped garlic
2 T. bacon grease
1 T. ghee (clarified butter) to make them creamy
2 strips of chopped bacon (optional)
- Cook the onions until brown
- Dump all ingredients willy-nilly into crock pot.
- Cook for 1-2 hour on high until beans are done absorbing water.
- Ensure beans are covered with water and cook 6-8 hours on low.
- Mix beans with electric mixer until desired consistency.
NOTE: 4 slices of thick cut bacon makes about 2 T. of bacon grease